Treat Excessive Sweating With BOTOX
- Highly effective treatment for excessive underarm and palmar sweating
- 15 to 20 microinjections given
- Up to 90% reduction in sweating within 48 hours and full effect seen
within a week
- May assist in reduction of odor with reduced sweating
- Performed by qualified doctor
- Microinjections of minuscule doses of Botox
- A single treatment is often satisfactory. Very rarely, a second treatment may
be required for excessive sweating
Excessive sweating, or hyperhidrosis, is caused by stimulation of the sweat glands by nerve endings which descend from higher centers in the brain. These nerves respond to emotional stresses; like intimate social situations, public speaking, physical stresses, and increased body temperature that comes with exercise or hot humid weather. Most people with excessive sweating are bothered primarily when they are emotionally stressed, physically active, or over-heated. BOTOX® can prevent sweating for months by blocking the release of the neurotransmitter, i.e., acetylcholine, from the nerve endings, that causes the glands to produce sweat.
How is BOTOX® given?
Fifteen to twenty drops of BOTOX® are injected via a very small needle into the hair-bearing skin of each underarm. Normal activity can be immediately resumed, while heavy exercise should be avoided for several hours.
What are the areas that can be treated?
Common areas that can be treated include underarms and palms.
When will BOTOX® take effect?
Underarm sweating will be decreased by 90% within 48 hours and full effect will be seen within one week. There may be simultaneous disappearance of odor associated with decreased sweating, but this is not consistent.
How long does BOTOX® last?
Most patients will obtain the benefit of dryness with one treatment of BOTOX® for six to ten months.
What are the risks and complications?
Complications from injection into the axillary skin include tiny bruises which fade in a few days. In some cases, there may be small persistent areas of sweating that may need a second treatment.
Who are good candidates for treatment of hyperhidrosis with BOTOX®?
- Anyone with an increased or problem of underarm sweating.
- Anyone who worries about sweating through their clothes.
- Anyone who would like to wear fine fabrics, sleeveless shirts and blouses, or who would like to take their jacket off.
- Anyone working in close contact with others such as hairstylists, nurses, physicians, dentists, hygienists, and flight attendants.
- Anyone working in hot conditions, such as models, television personalities and chefs.
- Anyone making public presentations, including: executives, attorneys, and salesmen.