Non-Surgical Options That Can Help Reduce Your Double Chin
More often than not, a seemingly harmless selfie is enough to raise unforeseen red flags in our minds. A quick zoom into your photo may reveal a zit you haven’t noticed this morning or a double chin you’ve been trying so hard to get rid of. Sure, you can mask it with a glam filter, but it won’t make that much of a difference in real life.
When it comes to that flab near your jawline, undergoing surgery is the most common treatment. But not everyone wants to go down under the knife and fortunately, there’s a way around this: non-surgical double chin removal procedures here in Singapore! Read on as we’ve rounded up the best tips and tricks to help you get rid of your double chin; without the need to go under a knife.
What causes a double chin?
A double chin, also known as submental fat, appears when the body stores excess fat in the lower jaw or neck area. This may be due to weight gain or hormonal changes, affecting how your body stores and burns fat. But even with a healthy diet and lifestyle, you may still have a double chin because of genetics. Although unique and unpredictable, your genes depict where and how your body handles excess fat. Poor posture also contributes to this since it influences your muscle strength. When the muscles around your neck and jaw are weaker, it tends to sag, which leads to a double chin.
Non-surgical Options to Consider for Double Chin Reduction
Double chin and its reduction have always been a popular point of discussion in Singapore. Add some double-tap-worthy TikTok videos, and you’ll never run out of suggestions to remove that stubborn flab. Between Chin Fillers, HIFU, Kybella and more, you will find a wide range of options thrown at you. But tread with caution as sometimes what trends on your favourite handle may not be the right option for you!
As an example, one of the most recommended techniques across social media is Liposuction, a surgical procedure that removes unwanted fat. However, Liposuction also comes with many side effects like scarring, which are a sure tell-tale sign of the procedure.
Which are the safer, non-invasive procedures that can help with reducing your double chin? We’ve listed them below.
Non-surgical Double Chin Procedures
There are numerous non-surgical double chin removal Singapore procedures available today, and your doctor can easily recommend one for you. Some of the most popular in-office treatments include:
● Ultherapy – FDA-approved Ultherapy is everyone’s go-to treatment for saggy skin and removing an unwanted double chin. This procedure uses medical ultrasound well below the surface of the skin thereby stimulating a natural healing response. This healing response triggers the natural production of collagen, which helps firm and tightens the skin – including the loose skin around your chin.
● Fillers – That pointed chin on your favourite influencer? Chances are she’s used dermal fillers to get the effortless V-shaped face! Fillers are used across the world to add dimension and a more chiselled look to the jawline – as well as tighten any loose skin around the chin area. Although temporary, the results are dramatic and can truly help you achieve a pointed chin like none other!
● Sygma Lift – If you need a painless treatment for a lifted complexion as well as help with your double chin, the Sygma Lift uses fractionated HIFU technology to treat areas of concern. Unlike traditional HIFU, the precise beams of Sygma Lift’s HIFU are able to penetrate to extract depths and stimulate collagen.
● Neck Thread Lift – Another popular option, thread lifts are a non-surgical choice for double chin lifting and reduction. This procedure uses absorbable threads that lift and stimulate collagen, instantly and for months after. In fact, neck thread lifts are amongst the more long-lasting non-surgical procedures to choose from and come with other fringe benefits such as a healthy, youthful glow months after the treatment.
● CoolSculpting – This procedure employs a cold applicator and vacuum-like suction to freeze fat cells, which the immune system clears. Coolsculpting works best on very soft neck fat because freezing more fat cells is more challenging.
● Kybella Injections – Kybella is a fat-dissolving injectable procedure that can help permanently reduce your double chin. The injection contains deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring chemical which breaks down fat cells and permanently minimises them. Sometimes, Kybella is used with Botulinum Toxin to double down in destroying fat cells and relaxing neck muscles for a tighter jawline.
Double-chin Targeted Exercise
These exercises help tighten and strengthen the muscles around your chin, which can help improve your double chin. However, it’s worth mentioning that the results are not instantaneous. Unlike the non-surgical double chin removal Singapore treatments, we mentioned earlier, you’ll have to wait months before you see results.
● Tongue Press – Start by pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth, then tilt your head back and forth. Repeat this five times every set, doing three sets every day.
● Say XO – Spell X-O several times to activate the muscles in your jaw, cheek, and neck muscles. Do this for sets of three, repeating 12 times for each set.
● Kiss the Ceiling – Tilt your head back and form an ‘O’ with your mouth as if kissing the ceiling, as the name suggests. This will activate your chin muscles and burn neck fat. Repeat five times every day.
● Pigeon Face – Tilt your head forward while holding either side of your lower jaw with your thumbs and index fingers. This strains the chin muscles, which helps you get rid of the double chin.
● Jaw Jut – To remove any fat build-up, tilt your head back and push your jaw and tongue outside. Do this 10 times daily.
Healthy Diet and Weight Loss
As we said earlier, weight gain is one of the most prevalent causes of a double chin. Keep track of your calorie consumption and cut back on sugar and carbs to help you burn fat faster. Doing at least an hour of physical activity every day is also vital to assist your metabolism. A balanced diet and lifestyle, combined with any exercise or in-office treatment, will help you lose that double chin faster.
Which Is the Best Option For You?
When it comes to non-surgical double chin removal, there are many good options to choose from! To find which one would work best for you, it’s always best to consult with specialists and doctors as they can recommend the best in-office treatments or a combination of treatments that will bring you the results you want.
About the Author – Dr Michelle Lim
Dr Michelle Lim obtained her medical degree at the University of Queensland in Australia in 2009. After this, she completed her Ophthalmology apprenticeship at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne where she also undertook her postgraduate clinical research fellowship in retinal vascular disease. Dr Lim trained intensively as an eye surgeon at the Singapore National Eye Centre and has a special interest in microsurgery and general ophthalmic procedures including cataract, refractive, glaucoma, cornea, retina, neuro-ophthalmology and oculoplastic.
With this specialized background in Ophthalmology, Dr Lim brings attention to detail and key surgical finesse to aesthetic procedures: from rejuvenating lasers to anti-wrinkle injections to peri-orbital fillers. Her sense of aesthetics also extends to other parts of the face and body as she has a keen eye for detail and an appreciation for the artistry of facial aesthetics.