Can we reverse greying hair? - SW1 Clinic

Can we reverse greying hair?

 In ANTI AGING, Beauty, HAIR, sw1 clinic

While many will agree that grey hair in recent years is one to embrace as part of a fashionable statement. So fashionable in fact that young adults are opting to bleach and colour their hair to varying shades of grey and silver. This may bring some good news for those on the other end of the spectrum who are constantly finding any means and ways possible to cover up their greys.

Can we reverse greying hair?

There are still a group of those who aren’t so welcoming of their greys and would prefer to keep them away from sight. For these individuals, besides covering up their greys, are there ways to reverse greying hair?

Read more: TikTok skincare hacks that actually work, according to dermatologists

To first understand what causes grey hair, let’s delve a little deeper into the hair anatomy.

What causes grey hair?

Each hair bulb has dermal papilla cells which help to determine the formation and life cycle of your hair. Melanocytes on these cells produce and distribute melanin, also known as the pigment that determines one’s natural hair colour. These are then transferred to the keratinocytes which make up the cells in the hair shaft.

Greying and white hair occurs when you lose your natural hair colour and is when melanocytes are not producing as much melanin as before and are not able to transfer the melanin to the keratinocytes.

While genes can take some responsibility for why you are getting grey hair, this only accounts for 30%. The other 70% is caused by external factors such as an unhealthy lifestyle, oxidative stress, medical conditions, nutritional deficiencies and even the use of harmful chemicals on your hair.

This is good news for many – keeping a healthy lifestyle and lowering your stress levels can have a positive impact on regaining your natural hair colour.

Diet can also play an important role. As the saying goes, you are what you eat and if dark, healthy tresses are what you’re after, consume foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and zinc such as fish, seeds and leafy vegetables such as kale and broccoli.

Read more: Acne at 50? Menopausal breakouts are real!

What else can I do to reverse greying hair?

There are treatments available to help reverse greying hair too. The latest treatment, White Hair Labo Program, is now available in SW1 Clinic. The program consists of 5 sessions of White Hair Labo, performed in-clinic by therapists, and 40 vials of White Hair Labo ampoules to be used at home as part of patient’s home-care treatment.

The treatment works by stopping and reversing the greying process by stimulating the production of hair pigments. Regaining your natural hair colour using this program does not use any additional colouring substances.

For more information on the White Hair Labo Program, find out more on SW1 Clinic.

Read more: 5 ways to help sun-damaged skin!

 

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Staying positive during another phase of Heightened AlertHere's how you can keep your spirits up during COVID